So far, my impressions have been positive, and I'm loving my time here. Here are some considerations:
- The cold. Coming from Portugal, with a mild (to unbearably hot) weather all year round, this is quite a drastic change. My hands suffer a lot... But I do survive with a good pair of gloves and a hand cream. Sometimes I feel like they are going to break from the numbness though.
- Bikes, bikes, bikes. This is nothing new to any of you. But if it is, do know that here there are more people on bikes than people walking by foot! And it's amazing to see that. Unfortunately, I haven't rode in what feels like forever, and that definitely shows as I look like an idiot. But practice makes perfect and I will get there (I hope).
- Clean and neat. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that in Portugal the streets are dumpsters but let's just say that here I can walk freely without staring at the floor all the time to make sure I don't step on dog's poop. That's a big improvement.
- Design. Oh my God, is it good... It's amazing. Specially if you're a fan of a minimalistic style. Danish design, as the other scandinavian countries, is one of best in the world. They do it well. Straight lines. Lots of white. Cool furniture. The house I'm in is a proof of that.
- Architecture. I've seen a lot of variety in this subject from my walks in the city. I mostly love the mix between the old and the new. The Opera House is absolutely stunning.
- Fashion. These guys know a thing or two about it, and they certainly walk in style. Again, they keep it simple and they use a lot of black clothes, which is so cool.
- Towers. Is it me or is Copenhagen the city of towers?! Like, for example, I consider Prague to be the city of bridges. I love it, as it gives the city a beautiful skyline. Can't wait to go up the Round Tower (Rundertaar) and see it for myself!
- Green space. I'm the kind of girl who likes nature a lot, so being in a city with loads of gardens and parks is a must. Copenhagen covers it for me. And I still have a lot to see on this matter. Go to the Botanical Garden (Botanisk Have) or to Churchillparken and be amazed.
- Danish. I get nothing you're saying. Simple.
I've been doing some walks around the city. Exploring it has been a bliss! Some snippets from this first week:
Definitely my favorite tower (hence the little spam that follows).
Too bad I arrived just when the church was about to close... But, as you can see, I couldn't help but shoot a lot of it :)
Colorful facades everywhere! <3
My camera loves this light.
And another pretty tower.
Stroget, the busiest street in Copenhagen, is where you go for shopping. Oh, and it's just one of the longest pedestrian shopping streets in Europe.
That's all for now. Until next time!
Inês
No comments:
Post a Comment